CLEAR BRACES IN LONDON
A straight set of teeth always gives a perfect smile and boosts anyone’s self-confidence. A lot of people do not have this luxury and are in search of the best way to straighten their crooked teeth. Braces are for teeth straightening. Clear braces are one of the available braces types, and they are preferred because they provide a discreet way to straighten the teeth when compared to traditional metal braces. Clear braces are used interchangeably with ceramic braces.
Clear braces just like metal braces are made up of brackets, archwires, and elastic bands.
Brackets - The brackets are usually made as white or varying skin shades.
Archwires- The archwires are connected to all the brackets and apply pressure to the teeth to straighten them. Archwires are silver, white, or made to blend in with light-coloured brackets.
Elastic bands or ties- They are attached to the brackets and used to keep the archwires in place. Elastic bands help to gradually adjust the position of the jaw and teeth. The bands can be in any colour.
The good news about clear braces is that they are as effective as metal braces and are more affordable than invisible braces. There are even some brands of clear braces like EmPower clear that provide self-ligating options and requires fewer visits to the dentist and shorter treatment time.
Benefits Of Clear BracesSome of the benefits of clear braces include:
- They are less obvious when compared to metal braces- they are made of tooth-coloured or clear materials.
- Treatment time is shorter than clear aligners like Invisalign- treatment with clear braces takes about 18 – 36 months.
- You can customise your clear braces to any colour you desire. Metal braces are available only in grey or shiny metallic silver, but clear braces can be made in any colour.
Cons of Clear Braces
- They are more expensive than metal braces.
- They can cause gum sensitivity- clear braces are large, and this size makes them difficult to clean leading to swollen gums if your toothbrush is unable to reach the gum-line or enamel.
- They are not as strong as metal braces- clear braces are more likely to break-off.
- The get stained easily- the elastic bands that hold the brackets are easily stained.
Cost of clear braces
There is no fixed cost for clear braces. Different dental clinics have different prices for clear braces and other types of braces. Before getting clear braces, you should visit several dentists to get quotes to help you make a good decision. On average, clear braces cost between £2000 - £5500. Some dentists will offer payment plans to make the payment more affordable.
Caring for your clear braces
The elastic bands of ceramic braces get stained easily, so they need to be well cared for. Here are some tips to help care for your clear braces.
- Avoid food and drinks like coffee, ketchup tomatoes, wine that easily stain or discolour the teeth.
- Brush and floss regularly.
- Do not use whitening toothpaste- they expose the surface of the teeth.
- Avoid smoking- it leaves yellowish stains on the teeth.
There are other alternatives to clear braces that can straighten the teeth and are not also conspicuous. An example is Invisalign clear aligners. They are almost invisible and comfortable to use.
For more information on clear braces and other invisible brace option, you can visit our Harley Street Clinic or book for a consultation today.